Americana® Avocado, Country Red, Lamp Black, Light Buttermilk, Light Cinnamon, Light French Grey Blue, Marigold, Plantation Pine, Traditional Burnt Umber, White Wash, & Williamsburg Blue Acrylic Paint by DecoArt®
Easy Float by DecoArt®
Multi-Purpose Sealer by DecoArt®
DuraClear Matte Varnish by DecoArt®
Cosmetics Sponge Wedges
- Prepare the container with sealer, sand, then wipe with dampened cheese cloth. Tape over the brown rims, then basecoat body of the surface with Light Buttermilk. Apply multiple coats until smooth and even. Apply a coat of matte varnish. This will protect the work you have already done plus allow for easy clean-up for the next step.
- Place cottage stamp onto a large acrylic handle. Dampen sponge and remove as much water as possible. Load with Lamp Black. When using paint on stamps it is important that you do not overload the image. Pour a puddle of paint out on the palette. Pounce the sponge into the paint and then on a clean area of the palette. When you look at the bottom of the sponge it should be covered by paint but you should still be able to see the texture of the sponge. Now quickly pounce the loaded sponge over the entire image and stamp it on the surface. If you don’t like what you have stamped simply wipe it off with a wet wipe! Since you already have a coat of varnish on the surface, it will clean up easily. Place a holly stamp onto a small acrylic handle. Stamp randomly around the container.
- Using a bubble palette, place about a dime size drop of Avocado, Country Red, Light Cinnamon, Light French Grey Blue, and Marigold in individual bubbles. Mix one part paint with appx three parts water mixed with Easy Float. Completely mix the paint until it becomes transparent. Using a flat shader brush wash in all the colors referring to the photo for placement.
- Shade each color with full strength paint using a flat brush including the squares. Apply a second shade using Williamsburg Blue in the blue areas, Plantation Pine in the green areas, and Traditional Burnt Umber in the Brown areas. Pull lines of the greens and Marigold to create pine needles. Float Snow White for the snow.
- Allow to cure for 24 hours. Apply multiple coats of matte varnish to protect the tote.