Americana Alizarin Crimson, Black Forest Green, Blue Chiffon, Cherry Red, Espresso, Holly Green, Lamp Black, Mistletoe, Traditional Raw Sienna, Turquoise Blue, White Wash, & Whispering Turquoise Acrylic Paint by DecoArt®
Multi-Purpose Sealer by DecoArt®
Easy Float by DecoArt®
DuraClear Matte Varnish by DecoArt®
Wood Candle B ox
- Prepare the box with sealer, sand lightly, then wipe with dampened cheese cloth. Basecoat the box with Turquoise Blue. Apply multiple coats until smooth and even. Coat background with a coat of matte varnish. This will protect the work you have already done plus allow for easy clean-up for the next step.
- Determine placement of the snowman and tree referring to the photo. Lay the snowman template into position and secure with removable tape. Dampen cosmetic sponge and remove as much water as possible. Pour a puddle of White Wash out on the palette paper. Pounce the sponge into the paint and then on a clean area of the palette. When you look at the bottom of the sponge it should be covered by paint but you should still be able to see the texture of the sponge. Pounce the sponge with the White Wash to basecoat the entire snowman . Allow to dry. Repeat until an even coverage is achieved. Remove the template and clean. Place the lettering stamp onto a clear acrylic handle. Using the same sponge, reload with additional White Wash. Quickly pounce the loaded sponge over the entire lettering stamp. Stamp it to the bottom of the box. Repeat to the other three sides of the box. When using paint on stamps it is important that you do not overload the image. If you don’t like what you have stamped simply wipe it off with a wet wipe! Since you already have a coat of varnish on the surface, it will clean up easily. Immediately wash the stamps with soap and water. If any has dried use an old tooth brush to clean. The sponges can also be washed and reused.
- Pour out a puddle of Lamp Black. Load a new sponge in the same manner as stated above. Now quickly pounce the loaded sponge over the entire snowman image. Align the stamp over the snowman and stamp it on the surface. Stamp the tree in the same manner.
- Using a bubble palette, place about a dime size drop of Cherry Red, Golden Straw, Lamp Black, Traditional Raw Sienna, and Holly Green in individual bubbles. Mix one part paint with appx three parts water mixed with Easy Float. Completely mix the paint until it becomes transparent. Using a #4 round brush for small areas and a #10 shader for the hat, wash in all the colors referring to the photo for placement.
- Shade each color with full strength paint using a flat brush varying the size to the area being painted. Apply a second shade to the green areas with Mistletoe, the red areas with Alizarin Crimson, the yellow areas with Traditional Raw Sienna, the brown areas with Espresso, and the white areas with Whispering Turquoise. The snowman is shaded with Blue Chiffon. Dry brush Cherry Red to the snowman cheeks. Add red stripes to his hatband with lines of Cherry Red. Dry brush White Wash around the box’s snowflake cut out.
- Load a sponge with White Wash and stamp the snowflakes onto the box. Use a stylus to apply dots randomly around the box for additional flakes. Use a #3 round to apply full strength to add snow to the tree. Float White Wash below the snowman and tree to create snow. Apply glitter by applying matte varnish in areas where the glitter is desired, then sprinkle with glitter. Allow to cure for 24 hours. Apply multiple coats of matte varnish to protect the plate.