Americana Bright Green, Bright Orange, Bubble Gum Pink, Calypso Blue, Lamp Black, Lavender, Peony Pink, Sour Apple, Tangelo Orange, True Ochre, Victorian Blue, White Wash, Wild Orchid, Yellow Light Acrylic Paint by DecoArt®
Multi-Purpose Sealer by DecoArt®
Easy Float by DecoArt®
DuraClear Matte Varnish by DecoArt®
Wooden Plate (without rim)
- Prepare the plate with sealer, sand, then wipe with cheese cloth. Basecoat entire plate with White Wash. Apply multiple coats until smooth and even. Coat background with a coat of matte varnish. This will protect the work you have already done plus allow for easy clean-up for the next step.
- Determine placement of stamps on plate. Place stamps onto acrylic handles. Dampen sponge and remove as much water as possible. Load with Lamp Black. When using paint on stamps it is important that you do not overload the image. Pour a puddle of paint out on the palette. Pounce the sponge into the paint and then on a clean area of the palette. When you look at the bottom of the sponge it should be covered by paint but you should still be able to see the texture of the sponge. Now quickly pounce the loaded sponge over the entire image and stamp it on the surface. If you don’t like what you have stamped simply wipe it off with a wet wipe! Since you already have a coat of varnish on the surface, it will clean up easily. Stamp all the images around the plate. Immediately wash the stamps with soap and water. If any has dried use an old tooth brush to clean.
- Using a bubble palette, place about a dime size drop of Bright Orange, Bubblegum Pink, Calypso Blue, Wild Orchid, Yellow Light, and Sour Apple in individual bubbles. Mix one part paint with appx three parts water mixed with Easy Float. Completely mix the paint until it becomes transparent. Using a #4 round brush wash in all the colors referring to the photo for placement.
- Shade each color with full strength paint using a flat brush. Apply a second shade to the green areas with Bright Green, the pink areas with Peony Pink, the yellow areas with True Ochre, the purple areas with Lavender, the blue areas with Victorian Blue, and the orange areas with Tangelo Orange. Use a stylus to apply dots randomly around the plate and stripes along the side of the plate with the first shade colors.
- Allow to cure for 24 hours. Apply multiple coats of matte varnish to protect the plate.