Zen Butterfly by Lyn Bernatovich
- Cut card base 5-1/2 x 8-1/2, score at 4-1/4. Set aside.
- Molten Magic Butterfly:
- Cut a piece of card stock slightly larger than the butterfly stencil and place on a work surface.
- Tape the stencil over the paper with removable tape on all four sides.
- With the palette knife, scoop out paste from the jar and spread along the edge of the paste spreader.
- Starting at the top of the stencil, smoothly pull the spreader to the end of the stencil.
- Remove tape from three sides.
- Gently pick up the lower corner of the stencil and pull up and off the paper taking the tape with it.
- While wet, dip a dry brush into the metallic powders and flick over the butterfly in several areas.
- Repeat with the next color until a good amount of the area is covered.
- With a heat tool over the image, begin to heat the surface.
- As it melts and when bubbling begins, pull the heat tool away to create smaller bubbles rather than larger blisters.
- To avoid singing the paper, move quickly to another area immediately.
- Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Use a tack cloth or 'Swiffer' dusting cloth to clean up any mica powder from the card stock background.
- Fussy cut out the butterfly.
- Creative Palette Background Panel:
- Follow directions on packaging and work with a full sheet of mixed media paper to create more than you need for future projects. Soak palette in VERY HOT water for 5 minutes before using.
- Place pea-sized paint blobs in various areas of the palette and blend out to the edges of the palette.
- You can also randomly impress stamps into the paint at this point.
- Lay the mixed media paper over the palette and gently smooth with your hand.
- Peel off paper.
- Continue adding paint to the palette and press the same sheet or press several other sheets until the desired result is achieved.
- Set aside to dry.
- Clean the palette and any stamps immediately.
- Cut the background panel 5-1/4 x 4 and dry emboss the stencil using the following stacking recipe: platform with no tabs, stencil, background panel with colored side down, rubber mat, two cutting plates.
- Wrap a length of ribbon around over each edge of the panel and secure with tape.
- To cinch and gather the ribbon, tie thread around the area where the butterfly will be centered and knot.
- Adhere the butterfly over the ribbon.
- Stamp the sentiment in the lower right corner.
- Affix the completed panel to the card front.
- Add pearls to the background for interest.
Also uses these supplies:
DWFX06 Eye of the Tiger
DWFX13 Sapphire Metallic
Cardstock by Bazzill Basics Paper®
Flat Pearls by A Muse Studio
Ribbon by May Arts
Big Shot by Sizzix
1/2" Removable Tape by 3M®
Zip Dry™ Paper Glue by Beacon Adhesives
If you've use this product in a project of yours, we'd love to see it! You can submit your step-by-step instructions and supplies used by clicking below.Submit A Project