Americana® Avocado, Country Red, Irish Moss, Lamp Black, Leaf Green, Light Buttermilk, Light Cinnamon, Light French Grey Blue, Marigold, Napa Red, Plantation Pine, Traditional Burnt Umber, & White Wash Acrylic Paint by DecoArt®
Easy Float by DecoArt®
Multi-Purpose Sealer by DecoArt®
DuraClear Matte Varnish by DecoArt®
Cosmetics Sponge Wedges
- 1. Prepare the frame with sealer, sand, then wipe with dampened cheese cloth. Basecoat entire surface along with cardboard cut to fit the frame with Light Buttermilk. Apply multiple coats until smooth and even. Coat the cardboard with one coat of matte varnish.
- Place stamp onto acrylic handle. Dampen sponge and remove as much water as possible. Load with Lamp Black. When using paint on stamps it is important that you do not overload the image. Pour a puddle of paint out on the palette. Pounce the sponge into the paint and then on a clean area of the palette. When you look at the bottom of the sponge it should be covered by paint but you should still be able to see the texture of the sponge. Now quickly pounce the loaded sponge onto the cardboard. If you don’t like what you have stamped simply wipe it off with a wet wipe! Since you already have a coat of varnish on the surface, it will clean up easily. Immediately wash the stamps with soap and water. If any has dried use an old tooth brush to clean.
- Using a bubble palette, place about a dime size drop of Country Red, Leaf Green, Light French Grey Blue, and Marigold in individual bubbles. Mix one part paint with appx three parts water mixed with Easy Float. Completely mix the paint until it becomes transparent. Using a flat shader brush wash in all the colors referring to the photo for placement. Note the evergreen is not painted with washes.
- Shade each color with full strength paint using a flat brush. Apply a second shade using Light Cinnamon in the brown areas and Napa Red in the red areas. The mice have a third transparent shade of Traditional Burnt Umber and Country Red to their cheeks and ears. To create a transparent float, simply work the loaded brush on the paper palette until the paint becomes transparent. Add White Wash glints to the bulb and ornament with White Wash.
- Using a liner brush pull lines of Plantation Pine, Avocado, and Irish Moss to create the pine needles. Wash over the entire frame with Light French Grey Blue. When dry, drybrush Avocado, the Country red to the scroll areas of the frame.
- Allow to cure for 24 hours. Apply multiple coats of matte varnish to protect the surface.