Americana® Country Red, Deep Burgundy, Forest Green, Lamp Black, Marigold, Mistletoe, Traditional Burnt Umber, Traditional Raw Sienna, Turquoise Blue, White Wash, & Whispering Turquoise Acrylic Paint by DecoArt®
Multi-Purpose Sealer by DecoArt®
Easy Float by DecoArt®
DuraClear Matte Varnish by DecoArt®
Box by Viking WoodCrafts
Cosmetic Sponge Wedges
All Purpose Glue
- Prepare the surface with sealer, sand, then wipe with dampened cheese cloth. Note, it is important that there is not any areas with high wood grain. Sand until smooth. Basecoat entire surface with White Wash. Apply multiple coats until smooth and even. Apply a coat of matte varnish. This will protect the work you have already done plus allow for easy clean-up for the next step.
- Determine placement of stamp referring to the photo. Place stamp onto acrylic handles. Dampen sponge and remove as much water as possible. Load with Lamp Black. When using paint on stamps it is important that you do not overload the image. Pour a puddle of paint out on the palette. Pounce the sponge into the paint and then on a clean area of the palette. When you look at the bottom of the sponge it should be covered by paint but you should still be able to see the texture of the sponge. Now quickly pounce the loaded sponge over the entire image and stamp it on the surface. If you don’t like what you have stamped simply wipe it off with a wet wipe! Since you already have a coat of varnish on the surface, it will clean up easily. Basecoat around the stamped areas with turquoise Blue.
- Using a bubble palette, place about a dime size drop of Marigold, Country Red, Raw Sienna, and Mistletoe in individual bubbles. Mix one part paint with appx three parts water mixed with Easy Float. Completely mix the paint until it becomes transparent. Using a flat shader brush or #3 round wash in all the colors referring to the photo for placement.
- Shade each color with full strength paint using a flat brush including the squares. Apply a second shade golden areas with Traditional Raw Sienna, red areas with Deep Burgundy, brown areas with Traditional Burnt Umber, and green areas with Forest Green.
- Drybrush the outer edge of the snowflake with Whispering Turquoise, reinforce with White Wash. Add glue to the edges and sprinkle with glitter.
- Allow to cure for 24 hours. Apply multiple coats of matte varnish to protect the tote.