Americana® Alizarin Crimson, Baby Blue, Cadmium Yellow, Dioxazine Purple, Lamp Black, Mistletoe, Snow White, Tangelo Orange, Traditional Raw Sienna, True Blue, & True Red Acrylic Paint by DecoArt®
Multi-Purpose Sealer by DecoArt®
Easy Float by DecoArt®
DuraClear Matte Varnish by DecoArt®
Black Microperm 01 Marker Sakura®
Wooden Cigar Box by Viking Wood Crafts
Zip Dry™ Paper Glue by Beacon Adhesives
- Prepare the surface with sealer, sand, then wipe with dampened cheese cloth. Note, it is important that there are not any areas with high wood grain. Sand until smooth. Basecoat entire surface with Snow White. Apply multiple coats until smooth and even. Pull a curvy line appx 1 inch from the sides to create a frame. Draw ameba shapes as paint puddles in the outer frame. Base the outer edges of the lid (going around the shapes) and the remaining box with Lamp Black. Apply a thin coat of matte varnish to the entire box. This will protect the work you have already done plus allow for easy clean-up for the next step.
- Place the mouse stamp onto acrylic handle. Dampen sponge and remove as much water as possible. Load with Lamp Black. When using paint on stamps it is important that you do not overload the image. Pour a puddle of paint out on the palette. Pounce the sponge into the paint and then on a clean area of the palette. When you look at the bottom of the sponge it should be covered by paint but you should still be able to see the texture of the sponge. Now quickly pounce the loaded sponge over the entire image and stamp it on the surface. If you don’t like what you have stamped simply wipe it off with a wet wipe! Since you already have a coat of varnish on the surface, it will clean up easily.
- Using a bubble palette, place about a dime size drop of Alizarin Crimson, Tangelo Orange, Cadmium Yellow, Baby Blue, True Blue, True Red and Mistletoe in individual bubbles. Mix one part paint with appx three parts water mixed with Easy Float. Completely mix the paint until it becomes transparent. Using a flat shader and/or #3 round brush to wash in the background with Baby Blue, then apply the remaining colors referring to the photo.
- Shade each color with full strength paint using a flat brush, with the exception that the leaf and stem are not shaded. Apply a second shade to the yellow areas Traditional Raw Sienna.
- Float a transparent shade of True Blue to the ground and True Red to the cheeks of the mice.
- Create mice tracks using the marker forming a “Y” with a third line in the center.
- Allow to cure 24 hours and then coat with matte varnish.