Elephant Framed Canvas by Deb Antonick
- Apply a thin coat of Gesso to the all the canvas boards using an old credit card. Let dry.
- Brush on a coat of DecoArt Matte Medium to each canvas. Let dry. (this will seal the surface for a nicer stamped image).
- Use the brayer to load the Wild Texture stamp with Lamp Black. And stamp each of the 6 x 6 Canvas Boards.
Note: pour a quarter size puddle onto the palette paper, roll the brayer through the puddle to load. Quickly roll over the stamp. Repeat as required and for each stamped Image.
- Use the Brayer again to load the individual animal stamps with Lamp Black, then stamp the 4” x 4” Canvas Boards. Mix and match the elements such as the leaves to create the background designs.
Note: the images can quickly be removed with a baby wipe if mistakes are made.
- Brush on another coat of DecoArt Matte Medium. Let dry.
- Paint the frames with Lamp Black.
I paint with the DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics, they are wonderful for painting stamped images using all your favorite painting techniques.
I water them down for the first coat of color, then I use them full strength for all my shading and tints.
I paint with the IPC Small Point Blender loaded with a hint of color and apply the paints as if I was coloring with a marker or crayon.
Blue Sky Backgrounds:
- Paint with a wash of Cobalt Teal Hue. Shade with Cobalt Turquoise Hue.
- Deepen shading with Prussian Blue.
- Paint with a wash of Green Gold.
- Paint with a wash of Green Gold. Shade with Viridian Tint with Quinacridone Gold.
- Paint the vines with Carbon Black.
- Paint the Elephant with a wash of Medium Grey Value 6. Shade with Dark Grey Value 3.
- Highlight with Translucent White,
- Deepen shading with Carbon Black.
- Paint the tuft of hair with a wash of Raw Sienna. Shade with Burnt Sienna.
- Tint the cheeks and inside the ears with Primary Magenta.
- Paint the mouth and toes with Primary Magenta.
- Eyes are Cobalt Teal Hue. Dot with Titanium White.
- Add tints to the grass with Quinacridone Gold.
Adhere the 4” x 4” Canvas Boards to the 6” x 6” Canvas Boards.
Adhere the 6” x 6” Canvas Boards into the frames.
Apply a finish coat of the DecoArt Matte Medium to the entire project.
Also uses these supplies:
(4) 6” x 6” Canvas Panel Boards w/ Frames
(4) 4” x 4” Canvas panel Boards
Available from Craft Stores or Dollar Stores.
Brayer, Baby Wipes, Palette Paper, Paper Towels, Old Credit Card
Permanent Black Marker – Faber Castell XS Black
Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive
Paints and Mediums:
DecoArt Media White Gesso
DecoArt Media Matte Medium
DecoArt Acrylics Lamp Black
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Cobalt Teal Hue, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Veridian, Green Gold, Quinacridone Gold, Primary Magenta, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Medium Grey Value 6, Dark Grey Value 3, Prussian Blue, Carbon Black, Translucent White, Primary Yellow, Diarylide Yellow
Brushes: (Available from www.thebrushguys.com)
Dynasty Black Gold Series 206 #20 Flat Brush, 3/8” Angular Shader
Dynasty IPC Small Point Blender
Dynasty Decorator Series 400 Mop Brush (5/8”)
If you've use this product in a project of yours, we'd love to see it! You can submit your step-by-step instructions and supplies used by clicking below.Submit A Project