Metallic Owl Box by Kathi F. Rerek
- Sand and clean the wooden cigar box.
- Brush Black Media Gesso over the top and sides of the box. Let dry.
- Open the box and brush Black Media Gesso onto the bottom, top, and sides of the box. Let dry.
- Paint several sheets of mixed media cardstock with Silver Media Fluid Acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Trim one of the painted sheets to fit the top of the box then cut out the center using the circle die from the WindowRama Die set.
- Use the Riveted Metal Texture Fades embossing folder to emboss the painted mixed media cardstock. I had to reposition the cardstock in the folder so that the entire surface would be embossed.
- Measure the sides of the box and cut four pieces of silver-painted mixed ,media cardstock accordingly.
- Use the Gearbox Border embossing folder to dry emboss all four pieces.
- Use the Clockworks embossing folder to emboss black cardstock.
- Using the branch die, cut the plain (unembossed) silver cardstock two times.
- Sponge StazOn ink over the silver branches to create brown branches with green leaves.
- Set aside all the die-cuts and embossed pieces.
- Using Memento ink stamp the Metallic Owl onto white cardstock.
- Color with Copic markers, fussy-cut. and edge with a dark marker.
- Use Media Matte Medium to adhere the four embossed silver-painted side panels to the sides of the box. Let dry, then brush a coat of Media Matte Medium overtop.
- Brush the fussy-cut, colored Metallic Owl with Media Matte Medium. Let dry.
- When the owl is dry, use the Media Matte Medium to adhere the owl to the center of the black embossed circle. Let dry, then brush a coat of Media Matte Medium overtop.
- Use Media Matte Medium to adhere the owl-in-the-circle to the center of the top of the box. Let dry, then brush a coat of Media Matte Medium overtop.
- Use the Media Matte Medium to adhere the Riveted Metal embossed, die-cut, silver-painted to the top of the box. Let dry, then brush a coat of Media Matte Medium overtop.
- Add a small amount of Quinacridone Gold Media Fluid Acrylic paint to a palette or craft sheet.
- Spritz the paint with water to thin it slightly, then use a fine brush to paint rust spots onto the Riveted Metal-embossed box top and the Gearbox Border-embossed sides.
- Use the Media Matte Medium to adhere the two branches as shown.
- Let dry, then brush the entire box with several coats of Media Matte Medium.
Also uses these supplies:
Solar White Classic Crest® Cardstock by Neenah Papers
140 lb. Mixed Media Paper by Strathmore®
Black Cardstock by My Colors
Owl Feathers: E40, E41, E42, E43, E44
Owl Beak: N4, N5, N6, N8
Gears: C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, C6
Helmet: Y21, Y23, Y26, Y28, BG75, BG78
Silver and Quinacridone Gold Media® Fluid Acrylic Paints by DecoArt®
Black Media® Gesso by DecoArt®
Media® Matte Medium by DecoArt®
Clockworks Cuttlebug® Embossing Folder by ProvoCraft®
Gearbox Border Cuttlebug® Embossing Folder by ProvoCraft®
Tim Holtz® Riveted Metal Texture Fades™by Sizzix®
Tree Branch Cutting Die: Source Unknown (oops)
Olive Green and Rusty Brown StazOn™ Ink by Tsukineko
Wooden Cigar Box (Mine are special because they were my Dad's. He'd smoke all the cigars, then store odds and ends inside them.)
If you've use this product in a project of yours, we'd love to see it! You can submit your step-by-step instructions and supplies used by clicking below.Submit A Project